What Should Weightlifters Eat?
Whether you're gaining or losing a couple of pounds through weight lifting, the same kind of diet applies. The only difference, however, is how much and how frequent you should intake based on your goal.
"Proper diet is the foundation of your success."
Here at TELK, we'll simplify things for you. These are five important things that your daily meal must contain to achieve your desired weight and muscle tone:
- Calories - this is the essential part of your weight lifting journey. The number of calories you intake describes how much energy you'll be burning. Based on the International Society of Sports Nutrition, weight lifters must consume between 23-36 calories per pound of their body weight each day. So, get a calculator and compute how much calories your body needs.
- Protein - after an intense training session, your muscles will feel sore. It's because certain muscle tissues and fibers of your body are slightly torn apart. Protein helps rebuild those muscles. You can get them through eating animal products such as beef, chicken, eggs, dairy, and seafood. Additional sources of protein can also be taken through beans, whole grains, and soy. Be sure to have them on each meal for quick muscle recovery. Here's a list of 26 foods to help build lean protein.
- Carbohydrates - this is your main calorie and energy source. However, weightlifters do not need to consume as many carbs as other athletes. Eating carbs must be done post-workout as this is the time of day that your body needs to replenish the energy you've used.
- Fats - we are talking about healthy fats here! It will be your substitute for carbs to gain enough energy for the rest of the day. Healthy fats usually come from nuts, olive oil, oily fish, fruits, avocados and vegetables.
- Water - of course. Your muscles will need water to stay strong and growing. The more hydrated you are, the more calories and weight you'll be able to burn.
Make sure to follow us on Instagram for more announcements and tips: @telkfitness
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.